Selling the bikes

 

Our arrival in Siem Riep meant that our bike tour of South East Asia had now come to an end. Although we were able to take the great memories homeward with us, we faced a dilemna on what to do with the bikes...

... we had three choices for our bikes.

Bring them back home with us

Take them back to Thailand to sell to the same shop as we brought them

Sell them in Siem Riep

 

The first option would have cost a fair bit to transport them. As would have the second option to Thailand, plus, no guarantee of a resell. 

We saw plenty of rusty old rental bikes rolling around in Angkor Wat and so we thought it could be the ideal place to sell on our trusted steeds to a bike shop looking to upgrade. However, as we feared, the shop owners weren't able to afford our asking price and so we decided to try the second option of selling on to another traveller.

With limited time we knew there wouldn't be much opportunity to advertise in hostels ect... so finally we came up with another idea...

Cycling around Angkor Wat

Selling your bicycle in Asia

In Cambodia there is a huge influence on charitable causes, and if you look in our smart travel section you'll see some of the places we visited. In Siem Riep there are several restaurants and shops giving there proceeds to a good cause. We struck conversation with the owner of New Leaf, a restaurant that gives all profits to charitable causes and he told us about White Bicycles...

White Bicycles is a new innovative company that provides hotels and hostels with bikes for the fair price of 2 dollars a day. White Bicycles then puts 75% of profits into charitable causes and the remaining 25% goes into the maintenance of the bikes and administration. 

We are always concerned of what we buy in life and often choose to buy fairtrade products. Meaning a fair deal for all parties involved, whether it's the person who picks the coffee grains, transports it or buys it or sells it...ect.

In our case we thought this would be a great opportunity for everyone to have a fair trade. We asked for $100 for the two bikes, this was then enough money for us to pay our accommodation in Siem Riep and also to make our way back to Bangkok for our return flight. It was a fair trade for them, as they were able to buy some desirable bikes for tourists and to have a long term sustainable investment. So our black bikes turned white and have been helping other travellers explore Angkor ever since. 

 

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on LinkedIn
Share and help othersShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.